VivaMalta - The Free Speech Forum - Beijing Olympics 2008

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2018, 03:14:17 AM

Home Help Search Login Register
+  VivaMalta - The Free Speech Forum
|-+  Miscellaneous
| |-+  Sports and Fitness
| | |-+  Beijing Olympics 2008
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beijing Olympics 2008  (Read 3305 times)
Neverwinter
Loyal Member

« on: April 15, 2008, 02:30:37 PM »

Source
Operation Beijing storm: rockets target rain
11 April 2008

BEIJING (Reuters) - China is preparing an arsenal of rockets and aircraft to protect the Olympics opening ceremony from rain, hoping to disperse clouds before they can drench dignitaries at the roofless "bird's nest" stadium.

Officials believe there is a 47 percent probability of rain during the August 8 opening ceremony and a 6 percent chance of a heavy downpour and will try to drain humidity from clouds before they reach Beijing.

More than 100 staff at 21 stations surrounding the city will have 10 minutes' notice to fire rockets or cannons containing silver iodide at approaching clouds in the hope of making them rain before they reach the stadium. Three aircraft will also be on stand-by to drop catalysts to unleash rain from the clouds.

"We've worked with neighboring provinces on a contingency plan for rainstorm and other weather risks during the ceremonies," said Wang Yubin, the deputy chief of China's meteorological service assigned to the Olympics.

The government has spent $500,000 to build up Beijing's cloud seeding capacities over the last five years and authorities will conduct practice runs in June and July. It typically uses pellets of silver iodide, which is highly insoluble in water and can concentrate moisture to cause rain.

Zhang Qiang, head of Beijing's Weather Modification Office, believed her staff can fend off drizzle, but could be powerless in the face of a heavy downpour.

"I hope God will not send any storms to Beijing," she said.

(Take a look at the Countdown to Beijing blog at http://blogs.reuters.com/china)

(Reporting by Liu Zhen; editing by Dominic Whiting and Michael Perry)
Report to moderator   Logged
Gladiator

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 04:43:55 PM »

Quote from: etoile noir
weather modification!! whatever next? who do these friggin chinks think they are?

these "games" are really a joke, a sad joke too. i know its not the first time that olympic games were used for political purposes, but china takes the cake for audacity :(

I think they are going to be a big big flop. Serves the IOC right. They should never have given the games to China!:mad:
"Better one word too few than one too many"
________ Maltese saying
JeanG

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 08:32:17 PM »

I cannot see anything wrong with modifying weather in this way. Nothing but a temporary change in temperature - not very different from using an air-conditioner.
BELLUM ET OTIUM!

mementropia
marco polo

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 09:20:49 PM »

Quote from: baralleine
I cannot see anything wrong with modifying weather in this way. Nothing but a temporary change in temperature - not very different from using an air-conditioner.

indeed. it was invented by an african you know. thats why they have bountiful harvests there these days.

We must built ships that will not traverse the Seven Seas but the Milky Way and the stars beyond, ships with no sails but engines powered by fuel, sweat and the creative cunning of the race that gave the world everything and will give the universe more than even God ever dreamt of. - Ogeno
ComradeDTAII
VM Member

SS Acolyte

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 02:43:28 AM »

Why use rockets when we have such facilities as Sura and HAARP?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sura_Ionospheric_Heating_Facility

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAARP
Love is forever
But just for a few
marco polo

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 07:28:43 AM »

really?  so basically cooling / warming your living room is the same as firing rockets at the clouds to stop rain from forming and falling :confused:

no.  that's screwing around with mother nature :mad:

its good. nature will win and wipe out all 1.3 billion of them one day dont worry.

bring on global drought gaia!

We must built ships that will not traverse the Seven Seas but the Milky Way and the stars beyond, ships with no sails but engines powered by fuel, sweat and the creative cunning of the race that gave the world everything and will give the universe more than even God ever dreamt of. - Ogeno
JeanG

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 03:15:01 PM »

really? so basically cooling / warming your living room is the same as firing rockets at the clouds to stop rain from forming and falling :confused:

no. that's screwing around with mother nature :mad:
Using a car is screwing around with mother nature. Even farting is screwing around with mother nature. :rolleyes:
BELLUM ET OTIUM!

mementropia
JeanG

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 09:33:22 PM »

to the same extent as what the chinese are doing?
come on baralleine, be reasonable.
I'm very sorry to say that you have no idea what you're talking about.

What are the Chinese doing? Can you give me a general chemical analysis? Can you compare said chemical analysis to the amount of pollution same Chinese produce daily from factories and cars?

In simple terms what they will be doing is chemically cooling down rain-clouds so as to delay raining and perhaps disperse the cloud itself. How will this permanently affect mother nature according to your theory?

In your attitude, I only see the Judeo-Christian "don't play god" attitude.
BELLUM ET OTIUM!

mementropia
Artist
Patriot

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 03:10:41 PM »

Quote from: baralleine
I'm very sorry to say that you have no idea what you're talking about.

What are the Chinese doing? Can you give me a general chemical analysis? Can you compare said chemical analysis to the amount of pollution same Chinese produce daily from factories and cars?

In simple terms what they will be doing is chemically cooling down rain-clouds so as to delay raining and perhaps disperse the cloud itself. How will this permanently affect mother nature according to your theory?

In your attitude, I only see the Judeo-Christian "

quote]

How sad! And Lao Tzu believed that human life, like everything else in the universe, is constantly influenced by outside forces. He believed "simplicity" to be the key to truth and freedom. Lao Tzu encouraged his followers to observe, and seek to understand the laws of nature; to develop intuition and build up personal power; and to use that power to lead life with love, and without force.
Every man dies, not every man lives.
capm

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 01:16:06 PM »

They say that a butterfly flapping its wings in New York will cause a hurricane in Indonesia. I wonder what a rocket would do.

You asked how will this affect mother nature. How will it not?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines
TinyPortal © 2005-2012

VivaMalta - The Free Speech Forum, Beijing Olympics 2008 - Theme by Mustang Forums