VivaMalta - The Free Speech Forum - Children lost in underground caves in Malta??

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 02:00:43 PM

Home Forum Help Search Login Register
+  VivaMalta - The Free Speech Forum
|-+  Forum
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Local Issues
| | | |-+  Children lost in underground caves in Malta??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Children lost in underground caves in Malta??  (Read 1216 times)
rodolfo

« on: February 19, 2007, 09:10:33 AM »

Surfing the internet I came accross the below link that apparently explains the case of 30 lost school children including a guide and a teacher. Is this true? I have no recollection of it happening and such a tragedy (unequalled in Malta to my knowledge) would have certainly been passed on...

Does any one know/have more information on the below? Would certainly be interesting to explore such tunnels!

I do know that the three cities are linked by underground passages but the article below is actually saying they go beyond. Some even stating all the way to the vatican....... might be hogwash but Malta is, afterall, a very old place...

http://66.102.9.104/custom?q=cache:pYaAAHG1gaQJ:www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread216479/pg1+caves+children+malta&hl=mt&ct=clnk&cd=1
Report to moderator   Logged
marco polo

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 09:15:27 AM »

i had heard a story about the hypogeum but i think its just that.

having said that though Malta is riddled with tunnels.

We must built ships that will not traverse the Seven Seas but the Milky Way and the stars beyond, ships with no sails but engines powered by fuel, sweat and the creative cunning of the race that gave the world everything and will give the universe more than even God ever dreamt of. - Ogeno
Joga

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 03:02:24 PM »

Quote from: Marco Polo
i had heard a story about the hypogeum but i think its just that.

having said that though Malta is riddled with tunnels.
Yep had a lovely walk with a friend on Mount Xiberas,(valletta) and bam!
A bridge leading to a Stoned up Tunnel which goes under all of valletta.
Why Don't we Open it up?
"I am the stone that the builder refused I am the visual, the inspiration, That made Lady Sing the Blues...I\'m the spark that makes your idea bright
The same spark that lights the dark, So that you can know your left from your right...,I am the ballot in the box, the bullet in the gun, The inner g
shadow cup
James Cauchi

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 05:35:17 PM »

Quote from: Joga
Why Don't we Open it up?

Perhaps because it is most likely reclaimed by poor sewage management. ^_~

Seriously though, I hear that the mystery of the lost children relates to an exhibition in the Hypogeum.

The problem is not only that the hypogeum is not fully accessible to the public but also that back in those days it was not an impossibility to take the old spiral staircase back up to the surface... or such are the musings on the topic anyway...
Placed by Circumstance - Seeker by Design - Philosopher by Choice - Path Forger by Destiny...
 \' \' \' \' \' \' \' \' \' \' [/CO
marco polo

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 06:48:05 PM »

Quote from: Joga
Yep had a lovely walk with a friend on Mount Xiberas,(valletta) and bam!
A bridge leading to a Stoned up Tunnel which goes under all of valletta.
Why Don't we Open it up?

valleta is full of tunnels for sure.

We must built ships that will not traverse the Seven Seas but the Milky Way and the stars beyond, ships with no sails but engines powered by fuel, sweat and the creative cunning of the race that gave the world everything and will give the universe more than even God ever dreamt of. - Ogeno
marco polo

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 09:47:03 PM »

Quote from: etoile noir
that one in valletta goes all the way to the war memorial in pieta / blata l-bajda, or so i once heard.

why dont we open them up?  and create an underground transport system?  i guess we could.  ask your local mlpn representative joga.  these days they all have dot com places where you can post questions.

lol. mlpn with vision? that post belongs in the joke section

Gladiator

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 01:09:31 AM »

Why are all surprised by this. It is possible or was possible for 30 kids to get lost. All those large families how one could keep count of those rasscals? When we all went to the beach we always left some one behind after we packed up and we were half way on our way home!:eek:
"Better one word too few than one too many"
________ Maltese saying
shadow cup
James Cauchi

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 06:26:49 AM »

Quote from: Marco Polo
lol. mlpn with vision? that post belongs in the joke section

Perhaps so but I think that She is on to something. :c)

It all depends on what successive governments have done to clean out or exploit the underground system.

I do however wonder if such a tunnel system would be of sufficient girth to take a meaningful transport.
Placed by Circumstance - Seeker by Design - Philosopher by Choice - Path Forger by Destiny...
 \' \' \' \' \' \' \' \' \' \' [/CO
White Power

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 08:52:57 AM »

What?s stange about such story. It is swallowed well by the Gahan Malti, the Maltese Idiot, renowned worldwide for believing even the senseless things without daring to question them.

It is one reason why Malta has such a fertile ground for Christianity!
wiking

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 12:10:36 PM »

Upon getting to know about this story some years ago, I tried to research further, to the extent of buying the August 1940 National Geographic edition reporting this case and I am writing this to show to those unfamiliar with the story that it is not just an old wives' tale but that it was actually written about in National Geographic. This does not prove or disprove that the story actually happened but it is interesting nonetheless. I tried to ask around about this story even asked some knowledgeable people of a certain age but none had heard about this.

How come the event was not publicised given that it is relatively modern (it allegedly happened during the war years)? It's not like it happened during the Knights' time. Such an event would have become a national tragedy or something. Or was the cover up (by the British) very successful?

One has to keep in mind that during the 1990's, the Hypogeum was being restored and maintained and it was closed for a good number of years. Why such a long time? Was there something to hide? Why are some parts not accessible to the public?

One final thing, rumour has it that one can travel from one end of the island to the other by using the tunnels and underground chambers riddling th island. I believe the British forces had closed many of these for security reasons, or was it to conceal something?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

A Global Voice

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 02:00:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.4 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
TinyPortal © 2005-2012

VivaMalta - The Free Speech Forum, Children lost in underground caves in Malta?? - Theme by Mustang Forums